Spring Pest-Proofing – it’s not too late!Want to pest-proof your home? We’re all for our awesome homeowners lending a hand in our pest push-back. A punch-list is always handy when you’re running through the spring checklist - feel free to use ours:
Kitchen Clean-up: The key here is to eliminate sources of food that attract pests such as ants and stored product pests.
- Do a quick clean-up and give the stove and cabinets a swipe for good measure
- Be sure to store leftovers in sealed, air-tight containers.
- Check through your fridge and pantry and toss out any expired food or condiments
- Sweep or vacuum up the floor and make sure to scoop up any crumbs
- Take a look under the sink and around the toilet for leaks or moisture. Fix any problems ASAP.
- Make sure the caulking around your tub, shower and sink is still in good shape, re-caulk any areas that need some TLC.
- Store household items in plastic bins with tight-fitting lids.
- Find and seal any entry points, like cracks or holes, with caulk.
- Install door sweeps to seal the bottom of your basement door as an extra pest barrier.
- Cut back vegetation in contact with your house, such as tree branches, to make sure that pests don’t have a highway to the roof (and attic).
- Clear any leaves or debris from your gutters and rain spouts to ensure that water drains freely.
- Repair any ripped screens and check the windows for a good seal.
- Remove any standing water in your yard and take the time to clean water containers, like pet bowls, bird baths and fire pits.
- Move the wood piles, which can become nests for rodents and food for termites, away from the house.